Monday, September 15, 2008

Marathon Tips...Round 2


It's that time again...the week before the marathon where I like to share a little running tip each day. Lately, it seems like I have been super busy, and just fitting in my morning workouts is getting challenging. Usually I have a protein shake after working out to get nutrition back into my body, but sometimes it doesn't sound good or I'm too lazy to mix it up. So...a good alternative is....CHOCOLATE MILK! Yep...easy and delicious as well as having a good balance of carbs, fats, and protein for a post-workout snack. For those of you who don't eat after work out because nothing sounds good..try drinking chocolate milk. It's important to get those nutrients back into your body...read this more technical info from the Salt Lake Running Company (my favorite running store!).
"Running drains your muscles of precious energy stores in the form of glycogen. The first two hours after a run is the crucial window when your muscles will absorb the highest amount of glycogen to replace what it just lost. Adequately replacing glycogen stores requires not only the right carbohydrates, but also some protein to aid your muscles in absorbing the carbohydrates. The best part about finishing a run is that you may eat some of the more sugary, higher glycemic foods. A runner needs one gram of medium to high glycemic food per pound of body weight in addition to one gram of protein per every four grams of carbs. A 150-pound runner would need 150 grams of carbs and 37 grams of protein within the first two hours after a run. It is best to eat half of that within the first 30 minutes and rest an hour or so later. There are replenishing drinks with this 4:1 ratio sold. A replenishing drink is best during that first 30 minutes. Later, eat a good meal to get the rest of the nutrition before the two hours is up. This one trick will speed up your recovery dramatically and recharge those drained legs for your next run."

2 comments:

Julie said...

I love the tips! I think the chocolate milk will work for my kind of marathons too . . . the TV episode kind. (Smiles)

Heather said...

Oh yes...chocolate milk is good for TV marathons too...you need to keep up your strength!