Monday, August 16, 2010

Blind Squirrel Gets a Nut


Chad and I competed in the 1st annual Herriman "Escape from Blackridge" Triathlon on Saturday. It was actually a very fun event. I wasn't a fan of the sandy transition area. Did you know that glass is made of sand, and on it's own, a little grain of sand in your bike shoe can cut up your toe? I didn't know, either, but I do now. Lesson learned. Also, I was sad that they made us wear their generic (i.e. ugly) swim caps instead of these stylish numbers. Other than that, though, it was a great day. I especially appreciated the cute male volunteer who told me I was "lookin' good" with a special inflection every time I ran past him. It was probably the cute pink and black tri top that prompted his comment because I think the swim-cap-to-bike-helmet hair was doing me no favors. And there's the spandex...not flattering. Still, I thank him for his lying efforts.

Chad and I both had great races. Even though Chad had been sick all week...he still turned in an awesome time and beat me. Still, I turned in a respectable time...and came in 2nd in my age group. I got a medal and everything. The only thing I can figure is that the fast girls were off doing another triathlon, or taking the day off. But, hey...every now and then all things work in your favor and you get a little something for your efforts.

Not surprisingly, for those who know us, we were very excited about having our picture taken with the Chik-fil-A cow and getting free chicken sandwiches since they were sponsoring the event. We were so excited, we went to Chick-fil-A for lunch.



Here's a little video of the event. I'm at 5:51 getting my medal. Take a good look...it may not happen again. :)

2 comments:

brooke said...

You are too modest! Second in your age group--That is incredible. I love the black and white photo of you and Chad. And I can tell the dude wasn't lying--you were "lookin' good!"

melissa walker said...

You look very tall in your awards picture. You should get a copy from that guy! Congrats on your race!