Thursday, September 3, 2009

I Gotta Do This...

A little while ago, my friend Amelia posed the question, "Why do people run?" on her blog. I commented that I run to feel empowered and strong and that it's therapeutic. And it is. I also like getting medals and free t-shirts. However, I am reminded of a quote from "Better Off Dead" when Lane is getting ready for his big ski race and all of his friends are convinced he's about to kill himself trying to beat Roy, the captain of the ski team.

"Look Charles, I gotta do this. If I don't, I'll be nothing. I'll end up like my neighbor Ricky Smith. He just sits around crocheting all day and snorting nasal spray."

Sometimes, that's how I feel. I don't want to end up crocheting all day and snorting nasal spray, or adopting 100 cats, or sitting around hoping for something good to happen. I'm making good things happen by pushing myself harder than I thought I could, finding new friends in the racing community, and keeping my body healthy. Setting large tangible goals for myself and achieving them shows me that anything is possible with enough determination and perseverance. Sometimes, running sucks. But then you get that perfect run where you are just flying along feeling like you can do anything. And everything is worth it on race day when you cross the finish line and your friends and family are there...and you have your big shiny medal.

So, this weekend I'm off to run the Disneyland Half-Marathon, and when I get back, I will have an awesome new medal shaped like the castle. You can't tell me you don't want one of these...maybe you'd even want to run to get one.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much will they be on E-Bay?? Have a great time! DA BEAR

melissa walker said...

I'm in next year!

brooke said...

I didn't even know they have a Disneyland half. That is the only one I'd every do! Plus, I want that medal. I have a love of all things Disney.

I agree with you on the reasons you run. I'm not a huge runner (probably only once a week) but I do work out every day for the same reasons. MOstly for my sanity but also because it makes me feel heathy and strong and sometimes it's the only thing I can say I did that day.

Mandy said...

And you have inspired people along the way! :)

Heather said...

Missy...they do a princess 1/2 marathon in Disneyworld that would probably be right up your alley...we could dress alike and wear tiaras.

Troy said...

i got a medal like that when i competed in the special olympics... something was off about the race though.. i won pretty easily

cbunting said...

Plus, the naps in the gutter right before the finish line are delightful...

amelia said...

are you sure you don't want to crochet? how about little yarn dogs? i'm really happy you enjoy running! it really says a lot about a person who can stick to a goal & accomplish it! i'll just be the nasal spray girl... that sounds refreshing :)