
I had a great weekend in Huntington Beach visiting my BFF Janet. I think I was supposed grow up by the beach, but I also love the mountains, so I'm torn...and try to visit Janet as much as I can. I also think I like Huntington Beach because of all the little HBs around town...and I feel like that makes it my place since my initials are everywhere.
Anyway, the 4th there is fun...there's a parade, fireworks on the beach, and we rode bikes down a closed Pacific Coast Highway, which was awesome. I also love the In-n-Out and I swear we pass one every block, kind of like wardhouses here....which brings me to the most memorable experience of the weekend...testimony meeting at Janet's ward.
So, I've heard for years about the strange goings-on in her ward, but I always thought she was exaggerating...until this week when I experienced it firsthand, and now I'm starting to think she's been holding out on me.
Testimony meeting is wrapping up...we're already 10 minutes over when a woman walks up to the podium and receives the go-ahead nod from the counselors (the bishop was, unfortunately, out of town). She proceeds to tell us that she is visiting the ward today and is a convert to the church, so automatically we're all on our best behavior. Too bad the same cannot be said for her. She tells us about her vision of Joseph Smith in the Sacred Grove that convinced her to join the church, and we thought, well, strange, but OK...we'll go with it. Then she asks if she can say a prayer for one of our brothers. We're thinking, strange, but OK...we'll go with it. She's new. That's when things really fell apart. She starts to pray for our brother, David Archuleta. Yep...American Idol runner-up David Archuleta. Why are we praying for him? So that he will be blessed on the American Idol tour...that he will be safe from the influences of the world because he is an angel of God with a message to share. Uh....yeah. We sort of lost it at that point. And...what about Brooke White? Doesn't she deserve a prayer, too? The evil influences of the world could get her, too!

Oh, the pent-up laughter of hundreds of church-goers who are already suffering from low blood sugar. I am proud of us...and sorry that I didn't see the spaceship pick her up when the meeting ended.

3 comments:
OMgosh! What a crazy! It always kills me when random strangers decide to bear their testimonies and go off completely unappropriate like that. What do ya do? I've actually had a Bish get up and ask the person to sit down before... ahhh! Oh well, it happens. It sounds like your trip was so great! I am so glad you had a good time. I've never been to the "HB" but it sounds & looks fabulous! Yeah, lets plan a GNO soon! It's been too long! Love ya!
That's great! I love those stories... unless I'm bringing someone to church for the first time! :) Leah
Paul loves those people, now that he's not in the Bishopric anymore. He just likes to sit back and watch what happens!
Post a Comment